Our yoga practice isn’t just about getting our heels to touch the mat in Down Dog, and it’s not just about the time we spend on the mat either. Yoga is a lifestyle – a way of life – and if you practice yoga, then you’re aware of the monumental impact it can have on your life.
As yogis, we have a responsibility to lead by example. Whether it’s a small courtesy in the yoga room or a grand outlook on life, our actions can create a positive ripple effect to help the world be a better, more compassionate and accepting place.
Here Are 26 Rules People Who Practice Yoga Should Follow:
1. Yoga is more about what you do off the mat than on the mat. The practice of yoga is taking what you learn on the mat, off the mat and into your life.
2. Yoga is not about how flexible your body is or can be. It’s about obtaining a flexible mind.
13. Posting yoga photos on social media isn’t a bad thing. Just don’t let it become how you define your yoga practice.
14. Your yoga teacher is human. So what if they forgot side two? They make mistakes just like the rest of us.
15. Remember that different forms of yoga appeal to different people. One yogi’s joy in SUP Yoga is the same as another yogi’s reverence for Ashtanga.
16. Never stop learning and growing in your practice. Continue your immersion in the practice. You never know where it will take you next!
17. Be mindful of those around you in class. Unless the room is jam-packed, try not to place your mat directly behind or directly in front of another person’s mat.
18. While there will always be exceptions (life happens!), always try to get to class early so you can settle in and get present, and try not to leave early either so you’re not distracting anyone else’s practice.
19. Try to cultivate a regular meditation practice. The beautiful thing about yoga is that it’s more than asana.
20. Make your practice a priority. It’s an amazing act of self-care and your mind and body will thank you for it.
21. Practice self-love with mantras like “I am enough.” Say “no” to things that don’t serve you. Say “yes” to things that make you shine from within.
22. Try yoga classes that aren’t within your typical “style.” Vinyasa junkie? Try Ashtanga. Power yoga more your jam? Give Yin a try.
23. Get to know your teachers. Support is key and that support system largely revolves around your yoga teachers. Introduce yourself to your teacher before your next class!
24. Get comfortable with the uncomfortable. When you get uncomfortable, breathe and remember that everything is temporary. It’ll make you more open and capable of dealing with challenges off the mat.
25. Keep going. Take it slow, and keep showing up. In your yoga practice, consistency is key. The more you show up, the more you will gain.
26. LIVE your namaste.
If You Practice Yoga, Then Apply These Rules to Your Life
If you’re a yogi then you have experienced first hand how incredibly transformative yoga can be. This is why as yogis, we must set the example to inspire others to also live a yoga lifestyle that’s centered on compassion, open mindedness, and love.
Piinch is balance. We will never know what it would mean to be anyone but ourselves. All we can ever do is balance our needs with those around us and the needs of nature. Information, knowledge, inspiration. This is why the Piinch Company exists.